News


All the media is reporting on as concerns Afghanistan is NATO taking command of the South. Sure, it's big news. They're saying it's the 'toughest combat mission in NATO's 57-year history.' Operation Mountain Thrust (no, I couldn't make these things up) has killed 1000 'mostly Taliban insurgents' since mid-May.
What I'm wondering is, who will come to the rescue of the 1500 South Koreans who are currently camped out in Kabul's Olympic Arena?
This misguided lot of Christians has shown up here to hold peace rallies.
I fear for them.
Their only hope is that the Afghans will be so bewildered by their presence that the streets will not run with Korean blood. Someone of my acquaintance was at Kabul Airport yesterday and saw a bunch of them arriving, mostly teenagers, none attired correctly --ie. women without headscarves, showing their arms, and the like.
The fact that they're camping out in the stadium that saw women publicly beaten for such unpardonable crimes as walking unaccompanied by a male relative and men for not having the correct length beard says it all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh, dear. what are they thinking? I like your posts. They help give an up close perspecitve. I'm hoping to be in Afghanistan in November so any interesting news is appreciated. I'll keep an eye on your site.
.... said…
WOW that is new.
Koreans in Afghanistan camping...
From my point of view they chose to be there - the Koreans- misguided or what ever… but they took the risk.

I was in Afghanistan last year and some times I remember the fear that I felt every night and day. You now that thing about never now what will happen the next day.
Then I remember my friends that I left behind. That really makes me sad, because I made a lot of good friends, and they will never go home. They will just lie there, reconstructing their country.
Charisse said…
No one's quite sure what they are thinking, or more to the point, whether they're thinking at all. Apparently the Afghan authorities were opposed to them coming (duh!), but here they are!
What's more, J and I have a record of being on r&r when the shit hits the fan -- last time we were in India when the May riots errupted in Kabul, the time before that we were in South Africa when the Danish cartoon cadenza exploded and all of our expats were evacuated, our first r&r in Turkey was marred when rockets were launched in Faizabad and almost flattened our offices there.
We leave tomorrow...
Anonymous said…
This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!!
Finally I have found something that helped me.
Cheers!
Charisse said…
Thank you so much! Happy reading!

Popular Posts