Slow Boat to China: the journey continues

I've been on a journey.
Yulong River near Yangshuo
I went to China to further my study of Tai Chi and Qi Gong, but really also just to travel again.

For the Traveler

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.


A journey can become a sacred thing.

Make sure, before you go,
To bless your going forth,
To free your heart of ballast
So that the compass of your soul
Might direct you towards
The territories of spirit
Where you will discover
More of your hidden life;
And the urgencies
That deserve to claim you.

by John O'Donohue

Thank you for that benediction Janis.
I used to be quite the globetrotter, as the early posts of this blog attest to, but not since becoming a mother a dozen years ago which doesn't sound like much contained in that neat egg carton of a word but trust me I felt shaky as a newborn lamb before setting out on my solo voyage.

I stopped in Pretoria en route to wish my mom a happy 66th and teach a Qi Gong Workshop in her beautiful Yoga Studio.
https://www.facebook.com/GoFlow42/posts/607815336412572
Then it was Beijing for 5 nights of excessive sight seeing. The capital of the world's most populous nation has more than its fair share of Must-See attractions and I certainly did my best. 
View this post on Instagram
It’s the obligatory #selfie atop the #GreatWallofChina 🤗 ~ I don’t know if you can tell but it’s pretty damn impressive (sorry Trump, they did it first & BEST!). My favourite thing - & I’m detecting a theme - were the adorable old & young people. Scroll through to meet my friend who wanted to practice his 2 words of English which included a lovely compliment 😍 He then made his daughter pose with me while adjusting our arms just so. I think you can tell how delighted I was and how the dear girl was simply dying inside 🤣🤣🤣 This may be the best part about getting older - seeing the funny side in just about everything #peoplewatching is such a joy 💓#TalkToStrangers even if you don’t share a language. During the mannnnny hours commuting back home (that’s my hotel🙃) I listened to #themoth #podcast in which @bryankett tells a perfect story about this connection we all seek & need 💞 #reachout #weareinittogether
A post shared by Charisse Louw (@goflow42) on


There's loads of delicious food, breathtaking cultural monuments of staggering age and beauty. It was glorious and I joined the 10s of millions on Beijing's brilliant subway and public transportation to see it all, making it quite affordable. I met some lovely Chinese people who have become my penpals along the way. For more pics of this epic place have a gander at my Instagram @goflow42

The South, Gunagxi Province, was even hotter and more humid than Beijing. The beauty of the famed Dragon's Teeth Mountains was nothing to sniff at and I explored the area around Yangshuo on my bicycle every morning and evening before and after training. Life at the Yangshuo Traditional Tai Chi School was a dream come true. I had a lovely large room in an ancient Qing dynasty building with plenty of fresh vegetarian food and the best teachers in Master Ping and Master Kim. Both embody their practice of 3 decades and are patient, down to earth and just lovely. I enjoyed getting to know my fellow students, many of whom are there for extended periods or repeat customers.
View this post on Instagram
I do so love my early morning #bikeride 🚲 through the countryside around #yangshuo 🇨🇳 I haven’t even been here a week and already the #lawofnature is written large on the landscape as the rice is being harvested and the crushing heat has been turned down from grill to roast 🌾😅 I went off the beaten track and found myself amongst #tombs and #wildflowers🌼 Then stuck in the middle of the #yulongriver😅 Fortunately made it back in time for #qigong & #taichi Training @traditionaltaichischool Every session is profound learning. Today we practiced #standingmeditation and #chenstyle #18form 😌 So powerful. So beautiful. #chi #softpower #wuwei Let all things come and go  effortlessly, without desire. Never expect results; thus never be disappointed. Never disappointed; thus the spirit never grows old. #LaoTzu #Tao
A post shared by Charisse Louw (@goflow42) on



During the long haul home, 2 days and 4 flights, I suffered a nasty bout of food poisoning and this version of Wonderful Life by Katie Melua on my Spotify playlist helped see me through the harrowing passage.
As I looked her up now I realised that she sang that lovely song about 9 million bicycles in Beijing. I just love that synchronicity ;)

So as I vomited and went through hell I remembered yet again that the only way through is through. And that being ever kinder and gentler with ourselves can only help.

Indeed the moments that stand out from my trip are those human moments of kindness. A woman who walked me around the maze of hutongs trying to find my well hidden hotel in Beijing and then gave me a delightful scooter ride when we realised how far off the mark we were. A man who walked me way out of his way and probably ended up late to work so that I could find the right train to get me to the Great Wall. A young girl and her mom who took the time to chat to me beside the Yulong River and then gifted me with a moon cake. The flight attendant who showed real concern at my pathetic state. The First Aid nurse who kindly administered rehydration fluids at Beijing Airport.  Everywhere such humanity.


Also Art...music, books, movies offer such salve.
Last night autistic & blind Kodi Lee won America's Got Talent with his incredible voice and he reminds us that absolutely everyone has something to share. It's what I said to a lecture hall full of first year students at Stellenbosch University yesterday:
We owe it to ourselves and everyone to find our voice.

Here I am with one foot in a very different time zone/hemisphere/culture but back in my beloved Africa with my sweet family and it's spring and the journey continues.
Travel takes us outside of our comfort zone. It brings us face-to-face with ourselves out of context and that is a useful mirror. Inevitably it's about that relationship with Self always. 
It requires watchfulness and forgiveness.
And so much humility. 

While I was away South Africa rose up against gender based violence since we suffer from some of the worst statistics in the world and yesterday the Constitutional Court upheld a ruling against corporal punishment in the home. The two are so closely linked.
Violence begets violence.

Even if you've never known kindness, start by holding yourself ever so gently.
It's become my daily practice -- it's far from easy, but it is profoundly transformative.
Give it a try. Especially when it's the furthest thing from your inclination.


Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts