Masifunde: the gift that keeps on giving

On Mandela Day this year, that's our annual celebration through service of Madiba's birthday, I volunteered with Masicorp because I've volunteered with them previously as a mentor in their Bursary Programme and as a teacher in their Adult Literacy Programme.

I just love this local NPO that does so much good in Masiphumelele -- here are some pics of us distributing books to the informal creches that are part of Masicorp's Stay and Play Programme on Mandela Day.


We met the remarkable women who run the English Hub at Ukhanyo Primary School -- one of them, Dolly, is now providing extra Xhosa lessons for my kids and some of their friends (thank you Sam for organising) -- and I knew immediately that I wanted to be involved.

I love teaching online and value my international classroom on italki, not to mention the relationships with my students and I'm really enjoying the intellectual stimulation of being back at Stellenbosch University lecturing again, but there's something about being in the local classroom that is just so rewarding.

Jane Futter is a "retired" teacher who heads up the Masifunde programme. She is truly a remarkable lady with incredible energy and heart who has fine tuned a fabulous programme for Grade 4 students at Ukhanyo that helps them build their English literacy skills.
Jane in action




If you would like to donate to this wonderful programme - please follow this link: https://www.masicorp.org/masifundersa/

Or if you'd like to spend a few hours a week like this:
 



Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts