So Meta

I started this post early December in the year 2021. 

 

Yesterday I made my first social media post in 4 months and raised over R5000 for Greenpop's #cyclefortrees thereby earning an entrance into this year's Cape Town Cycle Tour. A long time dream deferred...cos I'm a scaredy cat. 

This prompted a heart bursting with gratitude for people's generosity. 

And that I simply had to share!

So here's some reflection on what I feel the socials hath wrought:

Since I stopped haunting social media I've had a few friends ask me why or even how. The other evening a friend asked me to help mentor her through the inevitable withdrawal from THE addiction of our times. 


 

My long time friend Aré pleaded for a blogpost, so here it is...and as he astutely pointed out (called me out on ;) this is also a form of Social Media, but by dint of its very TLDR nature, it encourages a deeper unpacking and kinder engagement than other platforms. In fact it's always nothing short of miraculous that anyone reads any of my blogposts at all. Thank you, dear reader. 

One of the reasons I haven't said much except for this, is that no one likes a soapbox. Let me just say that my lived experience is that I'm not as miserable as before, this despite some significant stressors. I won't list them, but trust me, they are significant. Everything from work, to family, to friends. What I know is that when I sit in meditation all is clear and calm. When I lean my forehead against a tree, I breathe with the tree and feel rooted, generous, equanimous. 

We lose so much and that's fine. The problem is more the hanging on. 

I feel ready to let go of all the things -- letters I've kept, my piles of journals and just stuff. The things that make us feel that we are somehow different from others. My edges are going and more and more the divine light envelopes me and reminds me that we are just embodied for a short while. No need to get too wrapped up in this sense of identity. 

So back to what I promised. The more we trumpet how we feel and what we like, the more attached we tend to get to these ideas of who we are. Everything from our history to what we think we "have" now and what we want. Goal orientated mentality has been painted as a positive, when really it's just more consumption. Surely we can all agree that the grabiness of humanity has to stop?

There actually is enough. We don't need to be striving for anything. We need to be calm. 

If you can be with yourself and just breathe. 

Try it. 

Now. 

If you can't, you are not alone. We have made ourselves mad. This darling might help.


You see, living in the Age of Information ain't all bad. 

You're okay. 

Now step away from the screen & hug a tree.

You can come breathe with me on the Noordhoek Common on 19 Feb 9:30am 

https://www.facebook.com/events/311916974207682

And please join me to honour Beloved Thây on 26 February 2022 3-6pm at The Center in Noordhoek. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/666702277697314



Comments

Popular Posts