May Day May Day

Big Feelings this Buddha Blood Moon
https://www.instagram.com/goflow42/

During Zen meditation on Sunday morning I suddenly perceived something from an entirely fresh perspective, something I thought I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt. 

Meditation will do that. 

As we say at the end of our practice: "Delusions are endless, we vow to cut through them all." 

The giant blood moon moved towards the violet horizon. 

Timing. 

It's everything, not just in comedy, in every facet of life. 


 

Why do we persist in hanging on - to stories about who we are, what they did, how things are?

Let it come, let it go. 

Just because that one hurt you once, doesn't mean you wall yourself off. 

Just because you've been sad forever, doesn't mean that you need to be sad forever more. 

Holding onto any emotion is hard work (thank you Tinka). 

Thinking you know anything is the ultimate delusion. 

It was Buddha Purnima or Vesak on Monday, as the story goes, the historical Buddha was born on this full moon or attained enlightenment under that Bodhi Tree...or both. 

Meme therapy, it's legit

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Anyone struggling with mental health in themselves or a loved one will tell you that it can be all consuming, the invisible killer. It's coming up on the 7 year anniversary of my brother's death by suicide. 

Here is how I try to be here better...A survival guide if you will..not the first and probably not the last.

Podcasts 

(better than ruminating that's for sure)

It amuses me when people say "When do you listen?" When do you not?!

These are some valuable things I learned this week thanks to my current fave podcast teachers. I feel that so long as I am learning there is hope. And boy is there a lot to learn and from all directions.

Philosophy Bites on why Ritual matters.

I've been wondering about it with regard to my Zen Practice, which is very strong on form. Curiosity is crucial to a healthy meditation practice and a playful life, which is a happy life. 

A substantial part of me wondered if all my German blood and OCDness just felt comfortable with the"rules is rules" vibe of Zen, which I've actually been trying to break free of in mid-life. It's one of the many gifts of parenting. Learning that my way isn't the only way. Learning that messy is allowed. Indeed essential. Learning to let go. Learning that control isn't love. In fact it is the opposite of love. 

Right now notice deeply in how many ways you are trying to control your own divine body with its innate wisdom and generosity. 

See where you're holding on. 

Why? Does that help?! 

Nope. I guarantee you it doesn't. 


Control is the opposite of Love. 

And Love heals. 

This one helped me understand my new path of Korean Zen better. I meant to blog about it at the time - I took the 5 Precepts in March and it was effortless...wu wei...Tao/Dharma/ the Path...it unfolds. 

 

This entire episode of This American Life but particularly Act 2 in which Michael Chabon reads an excerpt from his short story "Werewolves in Their Youth," which speaks to me of the necessity for compassion above all else. It really is the golden thread.  

Thank you to the teachers. We are all here to learn.  

https://www.instagram.com/goflow42/?hl=en

Take care of your body. 

It is your primary relationship, nearest and dearest friend, best teacher. Tenderly minister to yourself. Be kinder. 

I see I blogged about beloved Candice way back when and she helped me once again on her massage table with her kind hands - a gift from my parents to me for mother's day. Lucky lucky me! 


Coming home to my breath and body ever so gently with restorative Yin Yoga has been like falling in love again. So delighted to have been invited to this lovely fundraiser for Tom Ro Haven at a beautiful little studio in Kommetjie - Soul Space - held by darling Charlotte and Gila

One is certainly spoiled for choice these days. Literally a yoga studio on every corner! So I went and tried out Yoga Life just down the road from me and fell into deep bliss. It is quite wonderful to take a holiday from Anxiety. I will be working my way through all the yin on offer here beyond the Lentil Curtain in the Deep South.


Take care of your mind. 

A committed meditation practice helps more than anything I know of. Thanks to the Dharma Centre for the support in my practice. Invaluable. It's interesting that meditation can be perceived as escapist blissing out. When truly it is a clear reckoning with what is 

As 

It 

Is 

My Buddhist name Jin Kwang means Divine Light. That which we all are. Not alone, but together. Completely Divine. 

The poem gifted me at the beautiful ceremony from Taigu Ryokan ~

Like the little stream 

Making its way 

Through the mossy crevices 

I, too, quietly 

Turn clear and transparent 


While sitting zazen on retreat, I faced the open door and saw a pigeon walking past 

"Oh look! A venerable dignitary" sprang to mind and had me dissolve into cosmic giggles that left me dancing in the Divine Light for a good long forever. 

This story (& feather) fell into my lap, even as the tears were not yet dry for Ukraine and all the suffering in all the world that ever was and ever will be. 

"Sentient beings are numberless, we vow to save them all." 

Take care of your people.

Celebrate. Be together. Family is messy and far from perfect. For Mother's Day I booked us a kayak trip and made sure to spend quality time with a good book, a good kitty and good chocolate. Here's a podcast about dads. My kids have a wonderful gentle father and I'm so grateful. In the one story a young man comes to terms with his father's death and I found it profoundly healing.


When our electricity provider Eskom lets us down we rally and enjoy our quirky differences. With teens you learn to appreciate these moments. Be there in case they are ready to open up a little, share something, a laugh, a hurt. Anything is gratefully received.  Just the other day I wanted alone time, now I crave together time. Real Connection. 


My fave maker. All heart and creativity. She made this lil fellow (his name is Alfred) for me while I was out meditating, brunching with a pal and forest bathing -- a very nourishing trinity in itself.

Teens and their mates and the elements. We are so blessed to live where we can be consumed in the grandeur of Nature often and thoroughly. Take care of your environment. 

 


Take care of your attention. Read stuff. Learn stuff...like how to be happier... (I decided to support decent journalism and subscribed to the New York Times...money well spent). 

Surprise: Outside is best, Social media is worst!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/14/opinion/sunday/rich-happiness-big-data.html

This Rolling Stone article knocked my socks off and helped me understand something about my ol pal I really didn't before. 

Isn't that hopeful? That there's room to know more, differently. Opportunities to shift. No matter how stuck you feel, how far past redemption or any hint of hope.

So just some muddled bits and bobs on what's lit me up of late. Kept me going. 

My darling Izzy recommended Florence and the Machine's new album and as I belted out the fab "King" on my mom's taxi route today, the rain came pelting down after hot Berg wind days since the Buddha moon. 

I looked up and saw an eagle perched just above me.  

Howling with laughter I remembered...

it's all magic. 

What a ride. 


Some perspective to end off with:

How it started...

https://www.messynessychic.com/


How it's going...

This has been my soothing bedtime story by Ram Dass since our Circle of Loving Kindness in honour of beloved Thay. I find that Anxiety can really play havoc at bedtime and it's helpful to remember the truth of who we are. Always, but especially when trauma rears its head. 
 
An eclipse is a shadow time. And the shadow isn't all bad. It's just unseen. Unloved.  
The distress call May Day May Day is taken from the French m'aidez -- help me. 
I hope this helps.

 

Love everything. 

Love everyone. 

Only love.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you darling
I needed this 🙏🏾

Popular Posts