Hot Tips on World Mental Health Day (or things to do instead of suicide)

It's World Mental Health Day.
Timeous.

My ol pal the Black Dog has been hounding me of late
(PSA: puns are not an effective anti-depressant, but I'll try anything at this point).
Kaye Blegvad's accurate accounting of living with Depression "Dog Years"
Instead of listing all the reasons I've been mis (although to be honest Depression needs no reason)  here are some things I've done that have helped me feel a little bit more alive and a little bit less in love with death:

Walk --
Oh the blessings of living on this gorgeous Cape peninsula surrounded by fynbos mountains and with my favourite vast Noordhoek beach laid out before me. I often have it all to myself.
I love photographing the vistas and the minutiae. Feel free to have gander at my Insta!

Sharing the Peninsula with my children
I watched a little beetle trying to make its way up a mighty sand dune yesterday and sang Paul Simon's truth anthem for the rest of the day:

When a mommy friend surprised me in my kitchen singing my heart out, she said, "Someone's happy!" Au contraire mon frere.

Sing --
Give vent to your soul's pain, or express the joys you have felt before and will surely feel again.
Just sing!


Watch Movies/shows --
I can highly recommend the topical "Maniac" -- what a beautifully crafted exploration of mental health. It's truly remarkable. I'm so grateful for all the people who tell stories and help us heal our own.


Read --
I finally finished "Lincoln in the Bardo," a very interesting exercise in style and exploration of loss. One of the tragic truths about depression is that it robs you of the ability to do the things that bring you most joy. Like reading. But if you can, it's a wonderful break from the spirals of one's own mind.

Try something new --
Tai Chi! Oh what a gentle, blissful art this is. I'm absolutely loving how soothing it is to sink into the subtle body and be supported by such a loving teacher and community that has weathered so much loss and yet can keep showing up... moving ever so slowly, gently, with the rhythm of the breath.
Deep South Tai Chi on the Noordhoek Common

Massage --
So grateful for an affordable, grounded, kind therapist -- Candice at Mushara Day Spa
I just told her she's an angel to the Southern Peninsula and I meant it.
Keep an eye out for her incredible specials. It's such a gift to be able to lie down, rest, relax and know that you're in her healing hands.

Dance --
Terribly excited about this awesome Deep South Dancing group meeting at the beautiful Shamballah space near Scarborough. Facilitated by diverse beautiful dancers, it's a healing community.

" The fastest, cleanest, most joyful way to break out of your own box is by dancing. I'm not talking about doing the stand-and-sway. I'm talking about dancing so deep, so hard, so full of the beat that you are nothing but the dance and the beat and the sweat and the heat. Your soul is a seeker, lover and artist; shape-shifting through archetypal energy, between your darkness and fields of light, your body and spirit, your heaven and hell, until you land in the moment of sweet surrender; when you, as a dancer, disappear into the dance.
When I am dancing, it feels like my prayer. It's like an offering. I offer my head back to the dance, I offer my shoulders back to the dance, my elbows, my hands, my spine, my knees, my feet, my whole self, my bones, my blood, my experience, my suffering... I offer it all back to the dance and I say: take it, do whatever you want with me. Release me."
~ Gabrielle Roth

I tried out my first Secret Sunrise

Make something --
Back to Heartwing Studio tomorrow and can't wait! This is good fun and profoundly therapeutic.
I've also been knitting again and it's very soothing to knit while listening to a podcast or two.
Here's a new favourite from my old favourite The Moth -- https://themoth.org/storytellers/warren-dahlin

Things I'm looking forward to doing again after too long a break ~
Flow resumes on Monday
&
Writing resumes NOW!

Here is someone speaking eloquently on what it is to live with the black dog. I am so grateful to him and all the brave souls who keep showing up for themselves. Who speak out and help me deal!

 




Comments

Popular Posts