Get me outta here

I woke up with soot lined nostrils and a smog hangover. The newspaper's horoscope predicted a bad start. Since I've been in India I've been waking up around 5:30am. Anyone who knows me knows that this is highly out of character, but there it is. Bangalore only gets going around 10, so I decided to make a pilgrimage to the ISKCON Temple, ie. Hare Krishna central. I've always had a soft spot for the Hare Krishnas and not just because they know how to cook and dance.
The first auto-rick wanted to charge me Rs300. When he finally agreed to use the meter he told me he was just going to take me to 'a shop on the way.' I found another guy who used the meter and the trip came to Rs60.
I realise that these details of wrangling with auto-ricks must make for less than inspiring reading, but honestly in this town it's an artform.
The Hare Krishna temple was big and clean.
You'll notice that I mention cleanliness frequently, but that's only because it is a quality of great rarity.
I'm hoping to get out of this city tonight and ensconce myself in the warm glow of Sri Sri Ravishankar's Art of Living ashram.
Bangalore is doing a lot to get me ready to leave India.
Just yesterday I was thinking that I don't want to go.
I was also bemused by the thought that we spend so much time searching for the Divine outside of ourselves, when really 'all' we need to do is respect and act upon the Divinity within.

Comments

Popular Posts