Easter = Kawaii

I read that sunlight needs to reach the retina of the eyes in order to insure health. Shouldn't be a problem for those of us lucky enough to live in sunny South Africa...except that I wear glasses. Even if you wear contacts or sunglasses, no good. So, in a bid to feel better, I sat in the Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary just down the road sans spectacles. Lots of blurry birdies, bokkies and bunnies. Which struck me as very seasonable, it being Easter and all! I have a very clear memory of seeing the Easter Bunny himself behind our banana tree as a child. He was very big and very pink. I was scared.
The only thing I find scary about Easter these days is how damn yummy Easter eggs are. Especially the Lindt one darling Aré gave me. That jingly bell, adorable.
Sumire, a friend from Japan, e-mailed me recently to tell me that her little daughter's first word was 'Anpanman', a popular Japanese anime character whose name means 'bean jam filled bun man.' I must say that other than cheap delicious sushi, my favourite thing about Japan was the surplus of excessive cuteness, or to put it correctly kawaii.
Some of my favourite Japanese characters:
Rilakkuma(Relax Bear), a VERY lazy bear who loves his pillow and cookies more than anything...what can I say, a bear who clearly has his priorities straight;
Nyan Nyan Nyanko (um, cats miaouw 'nyao' in Japanese, so it's a take on that), the cutest kitties ever, they are disguised as anything edible...step aside Kitty-chan (aka Hello Kitty);
Mamegoma (means 'bean sesame', but they're baby seals small enough to be kept in goldfish bowls), Sumire gave me a Mamegoma dressed as a bunny. It really doesn't get any cuter than that.
Oh and let's not forget the one, the only, Afro Ken ( a pup with a 'fro, dawg), what can I say, I literally wall papered our bedroom with him. Adorable.
Basically anything from San-X makes me "die of cuteness" (J's phrase for me in the presence of incredible cuteness, usually in baby, animal or design form).
Obviously I was hugely popular with my Japanese girl students between the ages of 3 and 13. Although kawaii is by no means limited to little girls. Which is alright by me.
Happy Easter ;)

Comments

Julia said…
So adorable! Relakkuma is my new hero.

However, I'm also very fond of Badtz-Maru, although I often wonder what a penguin has to be so cranky about.

http://www.badtz-maru.com/

Popular Posts