She's coming home!!!!!


I am exhausted... I must be a new mom or something!
I've been camping out at Frere Hospital since Friday. There are a few premies in incubators and newborns in the ward. It's been amazing getting to know our girl. She's really blossoming under all the love and attention we're showering on her. She smiled at J yesterday and I was a teensy bit jealous until she laughed for me a couple of minutes later! The pic shows us in our favourite position. It absolutely melts my heart when she snuggles up to me like this. It is quite simply the best feeling in the world.
Of course it hasn't all been warm fuzzies. She got diarrhea on Saturday and I've been sooooo worried. I suppose that feeling won't subside for the next 18 or more years, so I'd better get used to it!
When I'm not attending to her, I comfort the other babies. They see their mom's every 3 hours for feeding. Except for a little boy who was born yesterday and is also up for adoption. He's 24 hours old and weighs a lot more than our little not quite 3 week old doll. She really is tiny. Not 3 kgs yet! To give the non-parents or non-metric-parents out there an idea of what that means...average birth weight is 3 kgs. So she's really tiny. A nurse told me today: 'She's tiny and cute, like you!' Nurses have said a lot to me these past few days -- everything from 'you're spoiling her' (this because she was crying with a nappy full of diarrhea when I came in one afternoon -- I was really upset) to 'she knows someone's there for her now.' I prefer to believe the latter and can't wait to bring her home and SPOIL her rotten!
The doc gave the all clear today and tomorrow we have a court date and then......then she comes home. This makes me happier than anything ever has and more overwhelmed than I knew it was possible to feel.
The adventure begins.

PS> She has no name. Help! We need suggestions please. Xhosa preferably. So far I've just been calling her Angel.

Comments

Anonymous said…
CONGRATULATIONS! we continue to follow your adventures with excitement and affection. much love from all the miseasties :-)
Unknown said…
Congratulations!!!

Popular Posts