Freelance Writers Do Not Despair!

Something wonderful happened. After spending a whole chunk of time and energy creating profiles on every freelance job board known to man (lessons learned here) and bidding unsuccessfully on a few projects that interested me and paid slightly more than slave wages, I had basically given up all hope of landing a gig. There are just too many established writers out there with great portfolios and reviews willing to work for peanuts. I decided to spend what time and energy I have on writing my first novel.

My Office & Colleagues ~ living the dream
Then, out of the blue, a client approached me. Seriously. I felt like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" (what can I say, guilty pleasure of note). An actual well-paid opportunity that I didn't even ask for. It was given like a gift. I grabbed it with both hands and promptly began to sweat bullets. It was a business piece for an EU market, not exactly my area of expertise, but I quickly read up on what they are all about, sent an SOS email or two to my hubby who had some very helpful hints. It's actually live already - here. Thanks to J for cheering me on and then gifting me with these beauties...

Lucky Girl
Getting invited to do this (based on what exactly?! It's not like I have an online portfolio, certainly nothing in this niche), actually doing it and then getting paid well was such a boost to my self-esteem. Riding the wave of "I can actually do this thing! I can live my dream of Being a Writer!" I promptly applied for two steady writing gigs that really appeal to me. Holding thumbs, but not my breath, because now I know that sometimes the opportunities just come to you...well, once you've taken the leap of faith and put yourself out there. 

I would say to the freelancers who consider taking up the oh-so-many jobs advertised for ghostwriters of e-romance, just write & self-publish your own. It's turned into a real joy for me - taken all the pressure off, as it's a genre in which I simply cannot emulate my idols. I just had to get over myself, the almost crippling embarrassment of writing genre fiction, relax and I'm now thoroughly enjoying the process...safely hidden behind a nom de plume. It's a wonderful, playful sense of freedom, exactly the ticket to creative joy. I can recommend it to all the writers out there who have been too afraid to write their lofty award winning piece of literary fiction. Why not cut your teeth on some schlock? It sells! You're bound to make at least what these content mills are paying for the same and who knows, you could hit the jackpot. Either way, you'll have your first book out of the way and can only go from strength to strength. Perhaps I'm just trying to drag y'all into the gutter with me ;)

Happy writing & Happy Freedom Day South Africa!
I'm super relieved not to be marching against erstwhile President Zuma today and beyond excited to be invited to my clever friend Roushanna's fresh fynbos foraging and cooking workshop.
Friyay :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Если они его устроят, то надо нажать
кнопку «Ок».
Anonymous said…
Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this article.
It was practical. Keep on posting!
Charisse said…
Much obliged. Thank you for reading!

Popular Posts