Another Blog is Born

Salaam!

I blame the genesis of this, yet another unwanted Blog, on my sorely missed expat buddy Rachel who touched my heart with a story on her blog (visit Rachel under Links -- The Story of Habiba -- it's worth the detour). Just so that I could make an itsy bitsy comment, I was tricked into creating my very own blog.
Well, that and the fact that since I got back from India less than 2 weeks ago, I've been feeling forlorn. And you know what they say, misery lurves company.
Although Afghanistan is fascinating by any account, I've lived here for just about 8 months, which is equivalent to anyone else's 8 years. The donkeys are braying wildly outside, perhaps thanks to the 40 degree heat (you can check my weather link, it's no exaggeration). And kids, there ain't no air con, T-shirts or swimming available/allowed.
That's my mind set for the mo.

Just finished reading 'Himalaya' by that British guy, you know the one. I like what he says at the end of his epic journey -- it's about the human contact. And that's what I miss most now. India really got under my skin and I imply both the negative and positive in saying that. The interactions with street kids, psycho rickshaw 'drivers,' stoned saddhus, urbane monied middle classes, dodgy swamis and fellow travellers were like nectar.
This is the profound difference between travelling through and living in a foreign place. It's far more likely that you'll prefer the travelling through ;) Trust me on this. Even life threatening cultural quirks can seem charming when it's all part of the 'holiday.'
(For the full visual impact click on My Photos in the sidebar)

My advice for the day: Wherever you are, enjoy connecting with someone. Share a laugh, a story, a meal. The world is bloody awful without these little bumper car moments. Hey! Hello fellow human! I love you too...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hate to upset the bumper car, but it seems to me that there are perfectly plausable ways of saying a friendly hello to your fellow human without this howdy being mediated by cyberspace. I miss snailmail, raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens and bemoan the sad fact that my dear friend has fallen prey to the blogg monster. Snik. Here's to a world unblemished by bloggs.
Anonymous said…
I have to agree except... when is the last time any of us dropped a letter in the post, made a trans oceanic phone-call or physically went and visited a far flung friend? Oh wait, Charisse actually does those things!
And cultivates kittens and roses.
And bloggs too!
Charisse said…
And I live in the North of Afghanistan....what snailmail?!

Popular Posts