Our Mothers

To celebrate my mom's 65th birthday she and my dad joined my Spring Retreat last weekend and this past week has been filled to the brim with glorious food and fun.

Grandparents, Grandchildren & good food
This morning we joined Kali for a powerful Workshop as the last hurrah of bday celebrations before my folks go back home and on to another glorious retreat at the beautiful Buddhist Retreat Centre in Kwa Zulu Natal at Ixopo.

I thought about my gran who gave birth to my mom when she was 16 and my mother who birthed me at 23. I became a mother at 31. Then went through a sudden and fierce stress-induced menopause at 39. They say that children born now will live about 200 years. Currently the average life expectancy of women is 80. In other words I find myself midway through my expected life span (though no man knows the hour, this I understand all too well) with a new lease on life.

Gratitude for my mother who sets such a hopeful example of growing older with good humour, grace and insight.

Much humility for a brutal year that thrust me into menopause, this gift of crone-hood, and the clarion call to heed my true voice.
The beautiful teachers and friends and students who have helped guide me along the way.
Flow which allows me to serve, forces me to keep showing up for myself, doing the work, connecting, sharing, growing.
This life.
Never a dull moment!

Comments

Popular Posts