To Vipassana or not to Vipassana

To celebrate the first birthday of following my bliss into Flow, I'll be going on a 10 day silent Vipassana Meditation Retreat from September 5th through 16th.

I cannot lie, I'm filled with misgivings -- from the icy cold forecast, to sitting in meditation from 4am to 9pm daily (that's 11 hours of seated meditation daily people!), to only two meager meals per day (my husband is particularly worried about this, because he's known me at my hangry worst). I wonder whether my body, mind and emotions will cope with how rigorous and even punitive it seems.

I have nearly Vipassana'ed several times. Most recently last November, but then my hubby had to go away on business and there was no one to take care of our children.

I came close during one of my stints in India but was laid low by a nasty virus (PS. For more on my many and varied adventures in India just type India into the search function on the blog...or here's the link, it makes for fun armchair travel and can keep you company, dear reader, during my absence).

This time I think I'm ready, because for once I don't feel like I'm running away. I am truly happy with my lot. Although, I did fill in the application during that full Pisces moon which might have had me in full Pisces escapist mode. They made me promise not to practice any of my other modalities, specifically reiki, while on the retreat and also informed me that while I teach meditation I will not be welcome back for further retreats.

The idea of living the hermit's life and meditating in solitude for protracted periods of time has always been hugely appealing to me. I am excited to not have to be troubled with any of the duties of normal life, including a complete digital detox as we have to hand our phones in on arrival. I look forward to the silence and the invitation to embrace the truth of living every moment mindfully. A break from holding the forces of family entropy at bay is also most welcome. Good luck hubby ;)

When I explained what I would be embarking on to my kids, my son said with great alarm, "But won't you be bored!" Nope, guaranteed not. I hope the monkey mind simmers down and allows some bliss in between its antics. But I also know that expectation is the mother of all suffering. So I'll try to go gently into that good night (apologies Dylan Thomas) without torturing myself with too many misgivings or aspirations.

As the Vipassana crowd say, send me metta please....


Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello, juѕt wanted to mention, I liked this artіcle.
It wass helpful. Keep oon posting!

Popular Posts