My Top 10 Movies & Books List (part 2 of 3)

Here's Part One of this super juicy list of my top ten movies and books embellished with clips & quotes aplenty.

And now, without further ado, on to Part 2:

Film 4. Tokyo Story 

My hubby and I watched a quirky Japanese film "Rent-a-Cat" the other night and it filled me with memories of our (DIFFICULT) year living in Japan.



It also reminded me that the primary reason we went to live in Japan in the first place was because I fetishised the films that came out of 1950s Japan. I admire Akira Kurosawa and Kenji Mizoguchi but Yasujiro Ozu has my whole heart.

"Tokyo Story" is a profoundly moving, gentle tale about what it is to be a human being.
Here's a taste of the beautiful tale which, much like life, can only be truly appreciated in its entirety:



Book 4. Disgrace 
J.M. Coetzee knows how to write a mean sentence. He wields his words sparingly, they cut to the bone. I'm in awe of this mean lean capacity since my Romantic sensibilities err on the side of florid over statement. Here he turns his gaze unsparingly on our homeland, country of my birth, country of my heart. 

There are so many books about South Africa that I have loved. "The Story of an African Farm" and "The Power of One" were teenage favourites, as well as everything by Alan Paton, Nadine Gordimer, Christopher Hope...yes, I'm painfully aware that these are all white voices and the reason is simple, Apartheid. That scar that lies across our land and ourselves deeply. "Country of My Skull" is an excellent accounting of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that chartered a way forward for a New South Africa. Oh what hope filled our bosoms in 1994! Coetzee captures the turning of the tide in 1999. Indeed he emigrated to Australia shortly after its publication. Make of that what you will. 

I have loved others of his works fiercely: "Waiting for the Barbarians," "In the Heart of the Country" and "Foe" amongst them.

Film 5. La La Land
As with every choice I've made thus far this film represents more than itself. "Melancholia" appeared on behalf of cinematic Auteurs everywhere and as a beacon of, well, not quite hope, but compassion perhaps to those of us wrangling the Black Dog.

"Nanook of the North" flies the flag for the lost art of silent cinema which to me encapsulates much of what this particular art form does best. "The Royal Tenenbaums" is the poster child for Wes Anderson's signature whimsy and remarkable vision. "Tokyo Story" symbolises the Golden Age of Japanese Cinema. 

Which brings me to this gem -- "La La Land." This much lauded film is a homage to musical cinema and all of those extraordinary reflections of what it is to live in Los Angeles, the City of Angels that broke my heart, like Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia" and Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" to name just a few that could easily make any top ten list.


I'm actually named after a musical actress of the Golden Age of Hollywood -- Cyd Charisse. She died the year my son was born. I was raised on these musicals and was dancing from the age of 4, like all the women in my maternal family, although I am brunette unlike any of them and that's possibly where my resemblance to my movie star namesake ends.


Musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea. I loved them as a child. I'd escape into them as the dinner table discussions revolved around the horrors of living in Apartheid era South Africa and politics threatened to rend the family asunder. They were my happy place. No wonder I ended up working in the film industry...in Hollywood. Although much like the shock of realising that Japan in the early 2000s was nothing like its films of the 50s, so LA and the film industry have little to do with the products of the studio system of that epoch.

If you watch just one musical then it should probably be "Singin in the Rain" because it's an iconic trip down the film historical lane. It's about what happened when movies became talkies. It also stars some of the greats -- here's Gene Kelly co-creating movie magic:


More recent offerings in the musical genre that blew my mind were "Cabaret," "Little Shop of Horrors," "Chicago" & "Moulin Rouge."
And a shout out to the latest iteration of "A Star is Born" which isn't strictly speaking a musical since all the music is diegetic. But I love how each of them tells a story about film history - the 1930s version is about the star-making film factories of the Hollywood golden age, the 1950s one is about the fall of that system and the collateral damage as embodied by Judy Garland herself, the 70s one has that killer Barabara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson score. I'm moved by Bradley Cooper's sensitive portrayal and Lady Gaga's vulnerability in this expose of the unglamorous side of celebrity, also I can't stop singing their hit song...it certainly strikes a chord, rings true hey? Other puns welcome!


Book 5. Possession
It is such a beautifully crafted book. Both a mystery and achingly romantic. I love writers who know how to make language sing without losing sight of the necessity of a good story.
 “Think of this - that the writer wrote alone, and the reader read alone, and they were alone with each other.”
A.S. Byatt, Possession
Listening to the genius herself on this podcast had me weeping more than once.

Film 6. Wings of Desire


This movie is heart-breakingly beautiful. It's a tender portrayal of humanity and it should be on everyone's Must-See list. 

How about those movies that are just fab popcorn munching good times but also sneakily the most profound damn philosophical treatises you'll ever come across? These might be my favourite niche of my favourites. They move more than the emotions, they tap into the big questions. Arguably ALL the best films (& books) do this.

"Groundhog Day," "Waking Life," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," Memento," "The Truman Show," "Fight Club," Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" and "12 Monkeys" ooooh and its original French New Wave masterpiece "Le Jetee" by Chris Marker.

 
Perhaps less successfully "The Fountain" (I love Darren Aronofsky but really, rather hit and miss, kudos for trying though) and "Tree of Life" (I worship Terrence Malick, but see above).
More overtly "My Dinner with Andre" and let's not forget the Swedish master, Ingmar Bergman's entire oeuvre, especially "Seventh Seal" and "Persona."

All of these have given voice to the endless searching. I'm so grateful for their iterations.  

Book 6. The Golden Notebook 

Oh Doris Lessing you beauty. She's close to home, literally, as she grew up in neighbouring Zimbabwe and writes so honestly. Reading this book was like someone turned the lights on. In my early twenties it explained to me what it was to be a woman. Thank you dear Doris. I'm eternally grateful. 

“Do you know what people really want? Everyone, I mean. Everybody in the world is thinking: I wish there was just one other person I could really talk to, who could really understand me, who'd be kind to me. That's what people really want, if they're telling the truth.”
Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook

Film 7. Boyhood 
Richard Linklater is arguably the voice of my Generation X on film. "Before Sunrise" defined our wanderlust and specific brand of romanticism and cemented Ethan Hawke as our mascot. "Waking Life" is extraordinary. 


Then his docu-dramedy, "Boyhood." It's the feature length version of this clip that I can't stop watching

It'll move you in ways that only the long haul of living and loving can.

Book 7. Alias Grace

I love Margaret Atwood. She's written 16 novels at this point...I'm sure another is imminent. But only about half of them are good. And some are outstanding. This one gave me goosebumps. I love that Margaret gives us all the courage to just write! I was a bit put out when another writer I admire deeply, Marilynne Robinson, her "Gilead" (no relation to Atwood's "Handmaid's Tale") is gorgeous, said that there are enough average books in the world, so don't bother to write something unless it's exceptional. 

I dunno Marilynne. 
“The only way you can write the truth is to assume that what you set down will never be read. Not by any other person, and not even by yourself at some later date. Otherwise you begin excusing yourself. You must see the writing as emerging like a long scroll of ink from the index finger of your right hand; you must see your left hand erasing it.”
Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

I welcome COMMENTS! Lay it on. Disagree, amend, & please please please share with your film buff book nerd buddies who might enjoy this as much as I do. 
I'm happy to keep this as my personal online diary, but also very happy to share with the world wide web where it resides after all.

Just a heads up to my loyal subscribers receiving these posts via email -- all the embedded clips don't show up in the email version, so please visit the blog itself. Thanks! 
And if you haven't subscribed yet, why ever not?!

For PART 3 ...I see you shiver with antici...pation!

Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your spam)


Comments

Anonymous said…
When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.

Therefore that's why this piece of writing is amazing.

Thanks!

Popular Posts