Solid as a Rock


Rocks have been on my mind of late.

I had a moment in meditation where I was a mountain, immovable and ancient.
It was glorious to feel so effortlessly grounded. So integrated with our earth. It was also nigh impossible to move.

Except of course mountains DO move. They are always in the process of transformation.

I'm teaching geology to one of my italki students and we've been exploring the wonder of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. What we may forget is that rocks have a life cycle, just as we do. Except that their life cycle is a lot more flexible - they can keep being "reborn" as something else, usually through heat or pressure.

This post wouldn't be complete without some rock n roll - here two rock legends share some wisdom on what it is to be human and under pressure (okay, I know it's more pop than rock, but allow me some poetic license).
See how they live on. Spend some time with their poetry.


There is a contradiction in terms - here we are now and now and now...always and only now. This moment, this life, is ephemeral but also eternal. It's a bit like trying to get our heads around the age of the rocks beneath our feet.
via GIPHY

At a time when we're all quite panicky about what we've done to the Earth, I feel that we should trust more in the Earth's ability to hold her own and in our ability to be present...solid as a rock...yet always in the process of becoming.

This beautiful video by one of my favourite teachers, Gangaji, fittingly features mountains, truly one of my great loves and a meditation on what it is to be this little me amidst eternal ways.




Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts