Amabokoboko

In 1994 I got to vote for the first time and it was a historic moment for our country as it was the first free and fair elections in South Africa's history.

The next year I was a student in America and missing my home terribly as we hosted our first Rugby World Cup and WON it! This historic event was captured in the film Invictus (2009):


In 2007, the year I became a mother we won in France and now again in Japan making us three time world champions and the only team to have ever won every final we've played in. Considering we could not participate in the first two tournaments because of Apartheid boycotts this makes us undisputed rugby champions of the world.

I'm not much of a sporty person and wary of anything that promotes us vs them thinking, however it's lovely as a young democracy beset with challenges to feel united and hopeful. I have been deeply touched by the humility and grace of our first ever black captain (yes race is still a big deal in South Africa and bears pointing out) Siya Kolisi.

This short clip of him talking about his impoverished beginnings and his message is so inspiring.


"Live your life. Tell your story."

Comments

Popular Posts