Beep Beeeeeeep

There's only one traffic rule here and that's: Hoot as loudly as possible at all times.
There are hardly any stop signs or robots and even if there are, no one pays any attention. There's a vague thing about driving on the left side of the road, but it's merely a suggestion judging from the reality.
So people hoot every time they near an intersection or turn a corner, this takes the place of stopping or even slowing down and I've never once seen anyone look left or right.
I've decided to support the dying art of cycle-rickshaws. They're beautiful and gentle on the Earth. Auto-rickshaws are noisy, smoggy and the drivers love to rip you off. The cycle-rickshaws are pedalled by old, boney, often boozey men who ask a mere pittance for a very difficult job. I absolutely love them.
Even as I fear for their twiggy legs I rejoice in the slower, quieter way of life.
I met a guy yesterday who said it feels like the auto-ricks are inside his head. And I know just what he means.
I look forward to staying at Auroville, if I can find a bed. It's high season. I enjoyed my trip there yesterday, but outside visitors are very limited in their access. Still, it's calm and green.
Looks like a good place to relax. I've walked myself to a standstill and feel pretty rundown.
I'll be in Pondi for another 2 nights.
It's been good. I am greeted 'Bonjour Madame' wherever I go and on the 2 occassions I've eaten at restaurants I felt like I was in France. Tres bizarre.
And of course there's the Samadhi which is an absolute balm.

Comments

Popular Posts