Into the Mouth of Sleep

Just about every uncomfortable experience in this flesh is thanks to Stress.
I've been battling terrible persistent pain for quite some time and going deeper and deeper into myself to sort it out, while also researching and experimenting with treatments.
Cats -- always profoundly good Masters of how to Rest
My lovely friend and inspired doctor, Anton Janse van Rensburg, had this advice: Protect your Sleep!

I can highly recommend The Broken Brain podcast and this fascinating episode on how sleep is directly responsible for...well, everything! From mood disorders and autoimmune conditions to my latest struggle with TMJ pain.



If you are a teeth grinder (also known as bruxism) there might be several causes. This podcast illuminates some eye opening reasons for this condition as well as the repercussions which are many. It also covers sleep apnea and the importance of breathing through the nose. I think it's essential listening, even if you think you're a good sleeper. The good doctors share some fascinating insights into your dreamlife and hormones.

Last night I treated myself to a soothing epsom salt bath with a sprinkling of relaxing lavender essential oil (the water is great for potplants, so don't feel guilty those of you are water wise). I also used a washcloth to make some warm compresses for the pained jaw. Don't forget that the opposite side also needs attention as often the pain on one side is as a result of tightness on the other. The magnesium absorbed during an epsom salt soak is key to releasing tension and soothing the nervous system.

I then fell asleep listening to self-hypnosis (much the same as yoga nidra or relaxation meditation) which seemed to work very well as instead of unconsciously exorcising pent up anxiety by gnashing my aching jaw, I woke up each time. Not a perfect solution, but quite possibly a step in the right direction. Awareness is always key to recovery and it's not always easy to be aware while asleep!


All day, even more than usual, I'm practicing mindfulness. Releasing all that tension that we tend to hold onto. I've upped my daily yoga dose as well as Qi Gong and Meditation. But as I've known for some time, those things we do on the mat are far less important than practicing mindful awareness moment to moment.


Right here. Right now.
Deep Breath. And let go....
Release the tension you're holding in your neck, in your jaw and eyes.
Feel the peace that is yours to claim right this moment.

Not later when you have time.
Trust me on this.
Right now is the perfect time. 

Learning how to be IN your body, even as you're on your phone or engaged with someone or something outside of yourself is the key to wellness.

The beauty of our suffering bodies is that they call us into being in the moment.
And that's all that there is.

Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts