Immune

At the risk of tempting fate, I'm going to admit that I seldom get sick any more.
I was talking to a friend who was recovering from the flu, which can be debilitating for about 10 days if not longer, and they asked me why I don't succumb to these winter bugs doing the rounds.


I had to think about it long and hard.

Yes, I eat a healthy plant based diet.
I have never smoked or drunk alcohol. I don't even drink tea or coffee. Certainly none of those chemical sh*t storm sodas. This is not because I'm some holier-than-thou righteous crusader for animal rights and a sugar-free fun-free life, I just feel that none of these things do me any good.


Sure, I might enjoy a brief high but the aftermath is so difficult to recover from. I'm so grateful for an even keel that I don't ever want to upset the apple cart (that mixed metaphor is a gift to my husband ;) his personal favourite: sold down the river by a snake in the grass).

Which brings me to BALANCE.
Those stimulants and depressants in our diet require so much work to recover from. Our bodies take such a beating day-to-day from environmental and mental toxins. I feel the least I can do for my body is feed and water it in a helpful way.

Exercise:
I was speaking to a student who said they HATE the gym and so they don't go.

What do you love?

Do that!

If you hate it, it's not good for you!
Simple.


I love walking in Nature. (Come join me! https://www.airbnb.co.za/experiences/758311)
I'm blessed to live in the "Fairest Cape in all the World" and I walk these mountains and beaches with a song in my heart. If you're not so fortunate and live in a place that doesn't afford you your exercise of choice, see if you can make an alternate plan.
No excuses.
Your body was made to move. The less you do, the less you're able to do. Use it or lose it.
All these cliches - TRUE.

Mind Matters:
What's going on in that head of yours?
How do we perceive ourselves and our fellow players in this game of life?
Negativity is toxic.
How to feel rotten in no time, think a mean thought about yourself or another.

I'm always reading up on the latest findings on immune system understanding from a medical science perspective. At long last they're acknowledging the role that stress plays in the story of health. I must say that if I had to pinpoint the one thing that really throws me off balance, it's letting myself get ahead of myself with fearful not-enough thinking.
It's silly.
It's worse than that...it's sickening.


It makes me so sad to see people suffering and thinking that another pill will fix them.
I'm super happy for you if you've found help there, but personally I know that taking the time to breathe, focus on my body/mind/emotions, just listen...be still...balance...is where it's at.
Don't put off looking after yourself.
Nothing is worth it.

Come Flow - Mondays and Fridays 8:30-10am, Tuesdays 6-7:30pm.
It's healing.

Flow will be on Winter break from June 18th through July 16th 2018. 



Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts