Living the Dream: Work-Life Balance at Winter Solstice

The Dawn by John LaFarge
I celebrated the completion of my second book with a farewell party for one of my dearest students at Flow last night.
We meditated, danced, made art and feasted together.

As we reflected on the gifts that this space has given I realized that it is thanks to Flow that I'm writing at all. It was during one of our workshops here that it dawned on me that I needed to bring discipline into my creative process.
 


It's worked! I've gone from zero books to two in just a few months! Third in the series is on the horizon.

I've learned A LOT along the way:
Here's my first post on freelance writing and self-publishing.
Then I landed my first paid writing job!
Here I took the leap into video marketing and a standing desk.
Lessons learned about marketing a book with zero budget and no e-mail list thus no readers.
Then picking myself up after falling off my daily word count so that I could meet my deadline.

Most importantly I've learned that I really really love this. Just as much as I did as a child and young adult. Writing is heavenly. I love being in my own world.
What's more, I've proved to myself that I can handle putting my work out into the world.

I've even had reviews on my first book (no small thing!) and it's not that they were all glowing, though fortunately the good outweigh the negative. Still, I'm overcoming the fear that I had of exposing myself, or perhaps more to the point, the permission I was looking for to do this thing...I don't need it. Of course it would be lovely to sell lots of books and live comfortably off spinning my yarns. But mostly I just want to keep sharing them. It helps me feel good about being alive. And that's powerful.

Since I tend to workaholism I have noted the importance of taking breaks. RSI is real people! I started getting tingling sensations in my fingers, which progressed to pain, to say nothing of the constant knots in my neck. Taking time to do yoga, walk outside, breathe...essential. If we sacrifice our health, then we can't keep doing what we love. Simple.

So grateful for Flow, it forces me to keep showing up for myself and attracts a living flow of energy and inspiration into my space.
I'm also grateful for my italki students, each of whom is a delight to me.
My lovely students in both spaces are the ones that help pay the bills consistently while I work on building my bookish empire. Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate each and every one of you.
Also to the readers of my blog. THANK YOU! I love blogging and it's super cool that people enjoy reading it. Please Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email and remember to verify your email address (check your spam).

All in all I'm feeling like life has never been better.

We're off to Rome, Barcelona and a Med cruise as a family shortly. Incredible! I will share some stories on my return and I feel that once this third book in my first series is complete, I will be ready to publish under my own name.

Watch this space...

PS. Farewell Izzy, always glowing in our hearts

Comments

Popular Posts