Hey mama: in praise of mothers

It's Mother's Day week again. Last year I wrote this musing on motherhood a decade into the impossible task. On re-reading, I rather like it, which makes a nice change. Maybe I'm getting somewhere with shushing the critic and fanning the flames of self-compassion.
Awesome pic of me & my mom by my talented friend Susana Esteban
I'm thinking of my dear mother who went from being a daughter to being a bride to being a mom to me and then my two brothers in very quick succession. I'm so proud of how hard she's worked on herself and continues to do that endless inner work. She had a very rough start and did everything to support us and provide the love that we needed. My dad has been an unfailing support to her and us as well. A dream team going on half a century now! Thanks for being my biggest cheerleaders along the winding path of life.
Possibly the thing my mom and I have in common, other than our cheekbones, naughty sense of humour and dramatic flair, is our love of learning.
One of my italki students asked me what I value most in life and other than kindness, it's learning.

So thrilled that my mom and I who have studied at Ashrams in India and gone on countless courses and workshops here and abroad, get to study QiGong together this month and celebrate my dad's birthday. I'm always like a kid before Christmas when my parents are coming. Surpassed only by my own children's excitement to see their beloved grandparents.

My husband and I have been working through the brilliant Imago Getting the Love you Want and it's been so helpful in making peace with all the pain that inevitably sits in our familial stories and in our ways of relating, especially to our partners.

Please don't hesitate to give yourself the opportunity to love, no matter how terrifying the prospect. Keep showing up for yourself and DO THE WORK.
The only way through is through. There really isn't any escaping the tough stuff. The sooner you can sit with yourself, see it again and again, make peace over and over, the less you'll suffer.

I've lived it. And other much admired, erudite people too.
Here's Dr Bruce H. Lipton, famous for his brilliant work on epigenetics. Take the time, it's worth it!

Affirmation queen Louise Hay on Moving from Fear to Love.
(Thanks mom)

I became a mom almost 12 years ago. It's been a wild ride. Mostly I've felt like I'm getting everything wrong all the time despite the very best intentions. Every now and again things feel good and the kids seem happy...and surprise surprise those are the times I feel happy too. Not unrelated methinks.
Today I'm super grateful for my friends who aren't moms themselves and so are spoiling me with some nurturing this Mother's Day.
My darling Lorna bought me a whole package of massages with this glorious woman who happens to share my latest passion for Tai Chi.
Truly, what a generous and much appreciated gift. Thank you thank you thank you!

This Friday, May 10th, we'll celebrate at Flow with a freebie, so come along and support one another to be the mother's we all so richly deserve.
Present, compassionate and patient with the process.

And hey! To all the Mamas out there...
PROMISE

Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address
(remember to check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts