A Breath for Inspiration: Life Righting Collective Memoir Course

At the eleventh hour I decided to give myself the early birthday gift of the Life Righting Collective's Memoir course which took place over a week. It's hard to overstate how powerful this process is.

It really is essential to give ourselves permission to feel what we're feeling, at the risk of sounding like a tired out meme. As you speak your truth, it sets you free. It's not always easy to admit how we feel, because it can seem like betrayal on the deepest of levels.  But at least do it for yourself.
In your journal or to someone trusted.

On our final morning, our wonderful facilitator Dawn Garisch mentioned this poem by DH Lawrence, it seems particularly apt as the Cape Doctor blows away outside rattling at the windows and roof tiles, keeping one half awake all night:

Song of a Man Who has Come Through

Not I, not I, but the wind that blows through me!
A fine wind is blowing the new direction of Time.
If only I let it bear me, carry me, if only it carry me!
If only I am sensitive, subtle, oh, delicate, a winged gift!
If only, most lovely of all, I yield myself and am borrowed
By the fine, fine wind that takes its course though the chaos of the world
Like a fine, an exquisite chisel, a wedge-blade inserted;
If only I am keen and hard like the sheer tip of a wedge
Driven by invisible blows,

The rock will split, we shall come at the wonder, we shall find the Hesperides.

Oh, for the wonder that bubbles into my soul,
I would be a good fountain, a good well-head,
Would blur no whisper, spoil no expression.

What is the knocking?
What is the knocking at the door in the night?
It is somebody wants to do us harm.

No, no, it is the three strange angels.
Admit them, admit them.

Even if you have no real interest in writing, I can highly recommend this course for the good of your body and soul. It has helped relieve so much of the tension that was stuck in my body, which of course was old stuck trauma and that despite doing constant inner work. A fellow yogini on the course expressed surprise that I was going through a hard time, "But aren't you doing the work?" A woman who is bravely facing her PTSD replied, "Are you ever done brushing your teeth?"



There is no shame in being honest with yourself, in fact it's essential for deep healing. Dawn emphasises the necessity of the "daily creative practice." These powerful immersions are great course corrections, but it's up to us to make the many daily shifts that will impact our lives significantly. As Dawn puts it, "Follow the energy."
Do that which lights you up, allow yourself to serve the Creative Spirit.

Telling our stories liberates us and edifies those around us.
I can't wait to get stuck into Dawn's own memoir Eloquent Body and its companion Dance with Suitcase, she too has found great healing in movement and writing, as well as the Life Righting Collective's powerful anthology This is how it is. For all my fellow The Moth lovers out there, this one's for you.

The course came with fantastic notes and (oh the thrill) a reading list. Lately I find that I can consume more audio content thanks to this little thing called Life, so imagine my delight listening to the brilliantly insightful and hilarious David Sedaris reading his own Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim on Audible. For those who haven't yet ventured into the world of podcasts and audio books, do yourself a favour! All that previously "wasted time," think endless commuting and chores, is now enlivened by the most glorious content.

Happy reading/listening book nerds.
And as Dawn says, "Take a breath for inspiration."




Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Dawn said…
Thank you for your energy and enthusiasm in the writing space Cherisse. Wonderful to meet another kindred spirit who responds so completely to the magic of the download.
Charisse said…
Truly Dawn you have breathed life back into this tired out shell and I'm burning with all the words that just need to be expressed. So wonderful to be in the flow again. Thank you!

Popular Posts