Taking Stock: 2019 in Review

We are enjoying some beautiful summer's days in the Fairest Cape, marking the start of the much anticipated December Holidays which also signals the end of the Academic Year and a time for wrapping things up, taking stock and looking ahead. I must admit that I love the roundedness of 2020. It feels so whole and deliciously even.


I have a sense that all will be well.

As for counting my blessings, they are many.
My work is my passion. And my passions are many and varied. As I said to a disaffected teen student who rolled her eyes at me once while opining: "You love everything!" I'd rather love too much than not enough!

italki Teacher 
I've been teaching online at italki for 2 years now and I've almost clocked 1000 hours of lessons which means that in 18 years, when I'm ready to retire, I might be reaching that apocryphal 10 000 hours that equates to mastery...sounds about right. All I know is that there is a lot to be learned through repetition. It's not exciting, but it's powerful. It challenges us to be PRESENT and above all to keep our hearts open.

I'm humbled by my lovely students who have stuck with me over the years, most are now trusted confidantes. My lovely Swiss doctor student Anne and I discussed the "one really serious philosophical question" (as per Camus) and I asked her what keeps her ever present twinkle going strong in the face of so much heartbreak, she immediately exclaimed about the wonder of being alive at all. She spoke of Gratitude and in such a whole-hearted way that tears sprang to my eyes.

Just as Compassion unlocks our own suffering selves, gratitude opens us up to greater Wonder. 

AirBnB Experience Host
I walked with a remarkable woman this week who, when I asked her what she does for a living, said simply, "I take people outside." Oh what balm it is! This glorious opportunity to share my magical mountains along with meditation, writing, Qi Gong...ALL my favourite things! So Thankful. I simply Love it. And I get to do it often with all sorts of marvelous people. Oh happy day! 6 Months in and it has been an absolute treat. Every time the path opens up before me and into deeper understanding.

The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.   
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?   
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?   
God bless the Ground!   I shall walk softly there,   
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?   
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do   
To you and me; so take the lively air,   
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.   
What falls away is always. And is near.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I learn by going where I have to go.



Workshop & Retreat Facilitator 
When you can't find quite the right combination of factors -- time, place, people, offering...you make it yourself. And when you take the leap of faith everything just comes together effortlessly. This will be the fourth Retreat I've offered over the past 2 years and my first flying solo. What a vote of confidence when within 24 hours I was fully booked. So much joy in discovering that you can trust yourself and that it's worth putting yourself out there.

Also just heaps of gratitude & humility.
Thank you.

What an honour to hold space for people to be with themselves ever so gently. It's helped me profoundly. On the verge of 44 I'm feeling like this work has been everything in my unfolding and embracing of my Crone Power.

Next year I'm also planning a retreat in America and Corsica. Watch this space....

These past 2 years of Flow have included weekly sessions and many workshops -- every time I'm blown away by the willingness of people to show up for themselves and one another.
It's a beautiful thing -- absolute vulnerability and surrender to the spiral way.
Come join us for Free Qi Gong on the Common. 

“I want to unfold.
I don’t want to stay folded anywhere,
because where I am folded, there I am a lie.”
 

Rainer Maria Rilke, Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God 


Writer 
I have treated myself to a whole host of writing workshops in 2019 -- the year began with a two month workshop as a bday pressie to myself (and a way of holding myself accountable) with the delightful Hedi Lampert who shared so many useful tips as well as her delicious baked goods. I was at a particularly low ebb and something about being "broken down and tired" can work wonders for your creativity. It's a strange thing. You barely have energy for drawing breath but in the ashes and dust of your own miserable life you mine that gold if you but dare to put pen to paper (brush to canvas, or what you will). Try it.

I wrote this then:

There was nothing left of me
but a splatter
of coal

The taste was sweet on my tongue
it gritted between
my teeth




Recently I had the honour of sitting around a table, writing and sharing with Colleen Higgs of Modjaji Books, the intimacy of the group allowed for really soul stirring stuff. I also joined Máire Fisher's wonderful monthly gathering at the Gatehouse and she kindly invited me into her weekly writers circle (indebted to the glorious Diane Awerbuck for the introduction) thereby providing me with a much needed opportunity to meet with local writers in the flesh who are LOVELY and inspiring... and did I mention irl! After freelancing, writing and publishing exclusively online this has been a beautiful thing.



Writing is the weirdest thing ever. You do it in your fantasy world and have to somehow keep believing in the work and yourself. It's not the much spoken about loneliness that bothers me, it just seems rather preposterous. Don't get me wrong, it's still my First and Greatest Love. This morning I enjoyed writing at the majestic Casa Labia with Jo-Anne Richards, what a treat! Stunning location, yummy breakfast and personal feedback.



Next year I will finish that novel I was supposed to finish this year. It's good and it deserves to be finished and published in my name.

Academic
I'm baaaaack! I pulled together a new course on African Cinema and taught First Years at Stellenbosch University after (quite) a few years hiatus, it was cool. Now I'm wading through some hardcore Film Theory prepping for an Honour's Seminar in the new year and realising the gifts of being older and somewhat wiser. Theories that had seemed impenetrable to me in my 20s are now #relatable. It's such fun getting to spend time dreaming up interesting things to talk about with willing young minds. What a treat. Ooo and I get to teach one of my absolute favourite things -- Film History -- next year too.



So all in all it's been a busy year and as always I've learned so much.
I'm about to become the mother of a full-blown teenager (send prayers) and I just know that all good things come when they come.

Also, watch yourself.
Never forgetting the magic ingredient: Compassion.

Love ya!
Thanks to my readers (I met a fan this week and it was ever so heartwarming) and my lovely people who help along the way.
Happy holidays and may 2020 be good to you, but when it's hard (because sometimes it's hard) remember that's when we learn.
And that's why we're here ;)

Subscribe to Foot Sore & Fancy Free by Email
And please verify your email address (check your junkmail!)
Thanks :) 

Comments

Popular Posts