Kabul Luxury

I'm feeling better! In celebration of my newfound ability to eat we went to Serena, Kabul's only luxury hotel. J put up a bit of a fight, he's uncomfortable with flaunting wealth in such a needy environment. Fair enough, but man oh man did I enjoy my brunch. People, we're talking sushi, salads, ice cream! I almost wept. I certainly over indulged. Oh and what's more, other than a very full tummy, I'm now sporting a much improved frame of mind.
An earnest young woman from Bamiyan (sans the standard Afghan wear I thought she must be from Malaysia?!) showed us around and apologised that their bakery was closed. It was recently trashed by an angry mob. "It's the second time they've attacked us," she said sorrowfully.
It's funny how a year ago I thought Kabul to be the scariest, dirtiest, most dreadful city I'd ever seen, now I equate it to the ultimate Afghan luxury of dining out.
"Cry Freedom" is on TV, there's cable TV in Kabul, a sure sign that the Americans are here in force. This not very good film that nevertheless tells the important story of South African activist Steve Biko was banned in South Africa for a really long time.
Eventually during the De Klerk epoch it was released for the first time. I hurried off to the one tiny cinema where it was showing in Pretoria, capital of Apartheid and my hometown. No sooner had the opening titles rolled than the cinema was plunged into darkness. The doors were flung wide and well armed soldiers in full regalia trotted in, lined the aisles and ushered us out.
So who am I to bitch and moan about lack of freedom.

Comments

Julia said…
I'm so glad you got to eat, and to enjoy it! I'm sure that goes a long way towards feeling "normal" again!

I've not seen "Cry Freedom," but I did have my students watch "The Power of One" last year. It's so much more effective to show something, even a Hollywood version of it, than to try and tell it.
Charisse said…
Loved the book when I was a teen. Have you read it? Copied out long passages into my journal ;)
Julia said…
I haven't read it. I'll have to add it to my list. It's a long list, though...
Anonymous said…
Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Popular Posts