In her own words


This story was submitted to me by one of the women who works for our NGO:

Am I a Human Being or a Ball to be Kicked Around

My husband left me when there were two babies in my arms, he disappeared one day and nobody knew his whereabouts. People told me he went to Iran, but nobody could say for sure. I fed my children and raised them on my own, just as the two limbs of my body. Days turned into months, months into years and all this time I wondered if my husband would ever return, but he didn’t. I faced lots of difficulties. Bread for my children was hard to win and as much as I hated it, I was forced to ask for money. It was humiliating, but I had no choice.

After five years, with no sign of my husband, my family convinced me to marry another person. I had to, since it was the will of my elders and according to our customs.

I had two more children from my second husband and after five years with him, one day someone came and told me that my first husband had returned. I felt as if someone had pulled out my soul. My husband was in an even worse state. It was very confusing, especially when I thought of how to explain all this to my two oldest children who are teenagers now.

The situation is still looming, both men want me to be with them. Whatever the outcome, I know I won’t having any say in it, since nobody will ask me.


Comments

Bronwyn said…
Whoooa!!! A marvelous discovery to find you too! I love reading your missives.

On the topic of "in her own words", and following your musings on the 5 year anniversary (congratulations, by the way!)... Thank God for our husbands. It is one thing to submit to an authority if they have your best interests at heart... it is another altogether when you are a pawn of sorts.

You are lovely and amazing. Keep up the good blogging work!

Popular Posts